Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Backhanded Compliment

So I started my current job a mere three weeks ago and everybody here is pretty cool with the exception of the IT guy (he's another story). When I first started working here I was in between hair appointments so the weave i was rocking was a little on the beat side. My roots needed to be hot combed, some tracks were loose, and i'm pretty sure my hair smelled....So I finally convice my homemade hairstylist aka my younger sister to hook me up since I'm low on funds. She creates a short and lovely curly doo, which I like because it introduces folks to what I may look like with short hair. So I go into work the next day and my supervisor is like "WOW! Your hair looks GREAT!" I say thanks and keep it moving because she always extra excited about nothing. Then my fave coworker LaKeisha comes by and damn near stop in her tracks, "Who did your hair? Its FABULOUS!" I get a little suspicious of Keisha's overzealousness but I get over it because Keisha is a sista and can appreciate a new weave. But when Dr. Hyunh our middle aged, Asian, lab man came and told me how nice I looked, I knew something was up. I was a victim of a backhanded compliment. I must have looked so damn busted before that people at my new job are over complimenting me just to make sure I never come back looking liek that again!! I mentioned this to my BFF and she told me I was overreacting! That I didn't know how to take a compliment! If that is the case, my dear friend, then why the hell are my coworkers coming up to me a full WEEK later commenting on the hair?! I don't know what to now because I'm under SO much PRESSURE! I have to get my hair redone this weekend and I don't know if I should switch it up or remained curly headed. What if I go with that pack of spanish wave i've been eyeing and my coworkers ask what happened to the spiral deep? I truly don't know what to do with myself. Why the hell can't people leave their opinions to themselves?!

4 comments:

Nikita T. Mitchell said...

LMAO, tough decisions i c

Auspicious Glamazon said...

HAHAHA "What if I go with that pack of spanish wave i've been eyeing and my coworkers ask what happened to the spiral deep?"

Ahhh to be young, black and fabulous. You're in good company chica!

Anonymous said...

maybe your asian coworker really liked your hair?????

jerseybred

Dondasaurus Rex said...

lol thats true he could very well not see the difference!