Monday, October 1, 2007

My Birthday Eve

Usually when my birthday comes around I launch into pre-planned festivities that usually last for about a week. But for some reason I just didn't feel like doing that this year. I ended up going to Lucky Strikes this weekend where I had alot of fun and alot of drinks. I also spent lots and lots of money on clothes which is always fun but it still didn't give me the "it's my birthday" rush (whatever that is). My birthday eve is usally a joyous occasion but today it started off kinda crappy. I got in a huge fight with my mom because she decided to make some age-insensitive comments. She thought it would be a good idea to mention how by the time she was 23 she was a graduate and a wife, and that it amazes her that I don't even have a boyfriend and I can barely balance a checkbook. I retorted back with, " you may have been a wife at 23, but you were divorced at 41, so I guess you weren't so smart after all." It was a super low blow and I'm suprised that she didn't reach across the counter and slap me silly. I expected her to so I still ducked, but she didn't raise her hand she just looked at me and walked away. I want to apologize but I'm still kinda bitter about the comments.

I think the problem with this birthday is that at 23 people start expecting shit from you. And when you're not there yet you feel like you've failed at life. At least thats how I feel. I'm proud of my accomplishments but when throw them up against my mom's or even other 23 year olds I get kind of sad. Like maybe I'm not as great as I think I am. I don't really know what to do about this so I'm just going to ignore the fact that I'm turning 23 and call tomorrow my 22nd birthday part deux.

4 comments:

E2Deep said...

I'm guessing today is your birthday...Happy Birthday! I love lucky strikes. I went there not too long ago.
Now dealing with your mothers comment…Hmmm I'm 23 with no College degree myself, but I do have a good job which requires a degree, I'm just one of those lucky ones. I feel as long as you have a goal in life and your perusing it, than age shouldn't matter.

*B* Fab said...

happy birthday chick!!! LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING! I went through that whole, Oh I should be doing xyz and should have accomplished abc, by a certain age, and I found myself STILL doing that when I turned 25, especially when I turned 25, but now at 26, I don't EVER question anything, except maybe my relationship status, but that's for another blog...You are who you are and as long as YOU are proud of YOU then that is all that ever matters! plus, u gotta think, back in your moms day, men actually COURTED women and wifed them up legally...these days, well u know the drill. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!

Peajai said...

I think the important thing to remember is your life is not a competition, it's YOUR life. You have to live it the best you can and it doesn't matter who did what by what age because everyone's journey is different. So I know I'm a little late but Happy Birthday!

WendyB said...

23 is young, young, young. You have plenty of time for everything! People's expectations should be irrelevant to you as long as you make yourself happy. As someone who is about to turn 40, my best advice to you is not to waste your youth worrying that you're not young anymore. If you want, I'll email you to tell you when you are no longer a spring chicken ;-)
Expect to hear from me in 20 years or so.