Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Sigh

So I already explained to you guys how I work with a bunch of crazies. Well one crazy in particular really rubbed me the wrong way. Amy Winehouse took her "I want to be black"-ness a bit to far today. For some reason when a incredibly sexy, black client walked into today, she felt the need to go on and on about how sexy that "nigga" was. Now granted she said "nigga" instead of "nigger" and I'm sure for some people out there that distinction is important. To me it really doesn't make a difference. Its inappropriate to say especially in the workplace. I'm pretty pisssed not because she said it but because of how I reacted to it. I basically ignored it. I really didn't know what to say or do. Its not like I've never heard the word tossed around before, it used to be a part of my everyday vocabulary. I know she's not a racist and didn't mean it in a hurtful manner. I'm kind of angry because it makes me wonder why she thought that using that kind of vernacular would be appropriate to me. I don't even understand why she feels the need to speak with a "blaccent" when she talks with me. I don't speak like that to her so I don't know why she thinks she needs to change her voice and tone when she speaks with me. I don't want to go to higher ups with the issue because the girl is on the verge of being fired and I'm sure that this would result in her recieving her pink slip. I also don't ignore the fact that she says it but confrontation is not my strong point. I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope that by the time she says it again I have an elequent and gentle response.

1 comment:

E2Deep said...

You know what...I feel you 100%. Some white folks try too hard, that’s all it is. They believe all black folks talk a certain way and if they do the same than they're cool, which it is false.